Once you start saving your $5s, you’ll be surprised how often you get one back as change in a cash transaction. These tips are for those days when you really want to jumpstart your savings and be sure you are getting lots of $5s to stash away so you can save money fast.
* If something costs less than $5 (say a Vente Latte from Starbucks or a newspaper, a bottle of water, or a pack of gum), pay for it with a $10 or a $20 to be sure you’ll get a $5 in return. A corollary of this is to make the ATM your friend, since it usually dispenses $20s.
* When receiving change and you see a $10 coming out of the cash register, ask the cashier for two $5s instead.
* Add a $1 bill to a $10 to pay for any transaction over $5. Bingo, another $5!
* Cash in $5 worth of coins.
* Trade in five $1s for a $5.
Easy does it. Easy come, easy go. This really is a very easy way to save money once you commit to using cash in your daily transactions. Have a great week, and leave a comment with your thoughts on saving $5s.
Yours in Fives,