If you’re intrigued by numerology, or simply ready for new information to help you save money, I hope the power of the number five will inspire you…to save your $5s. Here’s a short list of examples of the number 5 showing up in religion, science, culture, sports and entertainment. Who knew?
5 in Religion
• In Greek Orthodox Christianity, the number five symbolizes the Holy Spirit as a bearer of life.
• The Book of Psalms is arranged in five books.
• The Torah contains five books.
• Muslims pray to Allah five times a day.
• In Catholicism, Jesus had five wounds on the cross. The rosary to the Blessed Mother contains five mysteries.
• In the Bible, the small King David killed the giant Goliath with five pebbles.
• Buddha Gautama had five commandments: “You will not kill; You will not steal; You will not be impudent; You will not lie; You will not drink intoxicating liquors.”
• God created animals and humans on the fifth day.
5 in Science
• Almost all amphibians, reptiles, and mammals with fingers and toes have five on each extremity: five fingers on each hand, five toes on each foot, five extensions to each trunk (head, arm, arm, leg, leg).
• There are five oceans in the world—the Arctic, Atlantic, Indian, Pacific, and Southern.
• Humans have five senses—-touch, smell, hearing, sight, and taste.
• Starfish have five legs and stars have five points
• The most severe hurricanes are rated Category 5, as is the most destructive tornado, an F-5.
5 in Culture
• Ancient Mayan people thought of 5 as the symbol of perfection, placing a fifth point at the center of the four points of their compass.
• There are five rings in the Olympic symbol to represent the union of five major regions in the world: the Americas, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania.
• In Tarot card reading, one card is the Five of Wands. Others bear the symbol for the Five of Cups, the Five of Swords, the Five of Pentacles. When an experienced reader analyzes the selected cards, she will tell you that picking five cards means it is time to take action, either physical or emotional.
5 in Sports & Entertainment
• Baseball greats Joe DiMaggio, Johnny Bench, and Brooks Robinson all wore the number 5.
• Bill Walton and Kevin Garnett have worn the number 5 playing basketball for the Boston Celtics.
• In music, the staff, or set of horizontal lines in which music is written, has five lines.
• Popular rock bands in the 60s included The Dave Clark Five, The Jackson Five, and the Fifth Dimension; Today, Five for Fighting, Ben Folds Five and The Click Five.
Fascinating, isn’t it? Have a great week and keep socking away those $5s. We’re halfway through our month-long challenge to save. Please, leave a comment. How many $5s have you saved since you began practicing this easy way to save money fast? I’d love to hear from you.
Yours in Fives,